Friday, October 11, 2013

Cinnamon Biscuit Bake

I recently tried a quick and simple recipe I found in Pinterest: Sticky Bun Breakfast Ring. It was tasty and my kids loved it. However, I couldn't help but think it would be even better with homemade biscuits.

So, this evening I decided to try my on the recipe. Of course, what I didn't think about before was that I started with a baking powder biscuit recipe, the Breakfast Ring calls for buttermilk biscuits. A minor difference perhaps, but it likely explains the considerable difference in taste and texture. Maybe next time I will try it with a buttermilk recipe. But as we all know, sometimes the mistakes are the best inventions.

This was no exception. My cinnamon biscuits were a HUGE success!  The result was light fluffy cinnamon goodness that didn't last long enough for a complete picture.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbs cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup


Preheat oven 425

Combine first six ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Blend on low, only until a soft dough forms. Form small balls of dough, rolling in a light dusting of brown sugar.

lace balls in a buttered bread pan. Sprinkle balls with the cinnamon sugar mixture, then cover the top with the remaining brown sugar. Drizzle syrup over the top.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes.

An hour later it's pretty much all gone...

This would be a simple recipe for breakfast, for company, and for holidays. Hot from the oven it would be fabulous à la mode!

No comments: